Sunday, July 20, 2014

BOBBI BROWN ART STICK: Dusty Pink, Rose Brown, Sunset Orange, and Harlow Red (Kylie Jenner Lip Color Dupe)

Hey y'all! Happy Monday! It has been a long while since I posted a review.  

Today, I am reviewing the new Bobbi Brown Art Sticks.  The Bobbi Brown Art Stick collection was released this past spring, so I suppose this product is already "so last season." In case these Art Sticks no longer intrigue you, perhaps I can attract your attention by sharing a Kylie Jenner "trade-mark" lip color "dupe." This particular mauve-brown-nude shade has caught on like fire.  I am not sure why suddenly this shade has become so popular because for some of us, like me, it is a staple, everyday, natural lip color. 

 I have four shades to show you - Dusty Pink, Rose Brown, Sunset Orange, and Harlow Red.  The collection includes a total of eight shades. The Bobbi Brown Art Sticks cost $26 each and are sold in Sephora, Bobbi Brown counters in Nordstrom, Belk, and Macy's, and online. I purchased mine from Sephora during the spring VIB sale event (15% off discount).  
These boxes (pictured above) are finger-print magnets. The condition of these boxes is not really that important.  The design of the Art Sticks (see below) is nice and simple, nothing spectacular.  Bobbi Brown Art Sticks are basically jumbo sized lip pencils.  The Art Sticks are a hybrid lip product; pointed enough to outline the lips (lip liner) and wide enough to color the lips (lipstick).  Also, these Art Stick do not tug at your lips like traditional lip liners.  The Bobbi Brown Art Sticks apply very smoothly and feel soft during the application.  Unfortunately, a few minutes after applying this product, your lips begin to look very matte and dry. See the pictures at the end of this post and note that each and every line / wrinkle of my lips is emphasized.  I am not a fan of true matte or retro matte lips. I can tolerate semi-matte or creamy matte lip colors, but my dislike of true matte or retro matte lip colors is as strong as my aversion to frosty or shimmery lip colors or glosses. Even if frosty lip colors become a trend again in the future, I will not endorse it, not even if coffee (currently cannot live without one cup a day) becomes a rare commodity and I am offered a supply of it in exchange. 
Dusty PinkRose BrownSunset Orange, and Harlow Red (top to bottom) 
Dusty PinkRose BrownSunset Orange, and Harlow Red (top to bottom) 
These Art Sticks are not retractable or twist-up, so a sharpener is included with each Art Stick.  I wonder if the cost of the Art Sticks would be slightly lower if the sharpener was not included. Perhaps it would have been more cost efficient to sell (or buy) the sharpener separately? So, the customer would only have to invest once in a sharpener rather than having a separate one for each Art Stick.  Cost efficient for whom though, right? I don't think the company is concerned with what is cost efficient for the consumer or maybe they do. I am not sure! Anyway, at first the included sharpener seemed like a selling point, but once I gave it some thought, it just seemed excessive. 
Dusty Pink, Rose Brown, Sunset Orange, and Harlow Red (top to bottom) 
Dusty Pink is a blue-toned, cool-toned baby pink with a lilac undertone. 
Rose Brown is a deep mauve.  This sort of shade suits my olive-yellow-beige complexion very nicely and looks clean because it is only a bit darker than my natural lip color. Rose Brown does not appear as matte on the lips as Dusty Pink. This is my recommendation for those of you looking for a dupe for Kylie Jenner's "trade-mark" lip color that has been "trending" for a hot minute. 

Dusty Pink and Rose Brown (top to bottom) 
Sunset Orange is a bright, warm-toned orange with a red undertone.  I love this shade.  It is my favorite one of the four.  This shade is the one that first caught my attention and the only one I should have purchased.  I wish the formula was emollient because I would whole heartedly recommend this product as a must-have.  Unfortunately, wearing a lip balm underneath this shade dilutes the vibrant effect of this shade. I don't want to settle for a peachy orange tint! I would gladly sacrifice the wear-time of this product for a bit of moisture.  
Harlow Red is a classic cherry red.  The red of the red, white, and blue.  This is the least drying or dry-looking shade of the bunch. I am not sure why.  

Sunset Orange and Harlow Red (top to bottom) 
Recap... Drying. Long-lasting. True matte lip colors. Hybrid lip colors - lip liner plus lipstick. Expensive. Beautiful and trendy shades. Only eye-catching / seasonal shade - Sunset Orange. Not retractable / mechanical. Smell like No. 2 pencils (Reminding me of standardized testing, yuck!). Somewhat deceptive - apply smoothly and feel creamy, but becomes so try and feel tight within minutes of application. Precise, controlled application. 
Recommendations... Use a lip balm underneath or a lip gloss on top.  I have worn Dusty Pink paired with the Dior Fluid Stick (new) in the shade Kiss Me (#389) and Sunset Orange paired with Dior Fluid Stick (new) in the shade Mirage (#338).  

I hope this post was informative and helpful. Your friendly comments are much appreciated.  Come back soon. Thanks!
Please support StrawberryHeartsChocolateDarts and connect with me via... 

3 comments:

  1. Meesha! I love the Rose Brown on you! I know you love lip products, so if you could recommend one high end lippie, which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Meesha!! I was really curious about these, and I am just so in love with the red color I think I might get it. I can work past the pencil smell! :) Thanks for the amazing review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have the shade Sunset Orange n i Love it! but it doesnt stay for long :(

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS POLICY: I love to receive comments from my readers. It helps me know that I am reaching out to people who share my interests. One of my favorite parts of blogging is interaction with other "beauty enthusiasts" like myself. Feel free to inform me of your thoughts, opinions, and feedback regarding the subject matter discussed in the blog post. Please refrain from leaving comments that involve advertisements, giveaways, and any other promotions, including promotion of your own blog/social media forums. There is absolutely no tolerance for negativity or obscenity.

***Please DO NOT LEAVE LINKS OR HYPERLINKS in your comments!