Thursday, October 23, 2014

NARS Audacious Lipstick Collection (Jane, Dominique, Anita, Vanessa, Anna, Geraldine, Olivia, Leslie, Deborah, Sylvia, Barbara, Catherine, and Lana) | Video | Swatches | Demo | Review

*Visual Demo on "ChaiTimewithMeesha"*

*Review*
My friend Megan gifted me the NARS Audacious lipstick in the shade Jane.  A few weeks back she and I were having lunch together at Bravo on a rainy afternoon and she asked me, "if you could have any lipstick today at this moment which one would it be?" I responded, without giving it a second thought, "NARS Audacious Jane." After lunch we walked into the mall to do some window-shopping and a return at Sephora.  Later on as we drove home, I asked her why she was asking me about lipsticks that I want as if she had a trick up her sleeve.  I reminded her not to buy anything from Sephora until the VIB sale.  She, being my twin, could no longer contain the surprise and told me that she bought the lipstick for me as a just-because gift.  In that moment I was fighting back tears of happiness.  I felt so overwhelmed and had no words to express how special her gesture made me feel.  I am no social butterfly and sometimes I feel really sad about being far from my few close friends, but I sure am lucky to have such a special place in their hearts.  Megan's gift was extremely thoughtful, genuine, self-less, and generous.  

When I first saw pictures of the new NARS Audacious lipsticks collection on the Temptalia blog, the only shade in the collection that drew my attention was Jane.  Although Jane may look like a very subdued or rather boring shade when considering the color depicted by the bullet, once applied it comes off bright.  By "bright" I do not mean to imply neon bright, but more vibrant, not dulled down by a heavy brown base.  I have heard other beauty bloggers, with a lighter skin-tone than mine, describe Jane as a terra-cotta shade, but I would not describe it as that.  In my opinion, Jane is a muted coral-orange with a extremely light wash of a warm rosy-brown base.  It is not at all deep or muddy or yellowish or rusty like terra-cotta.  If you are an admirer of the current orange lip color trend, but desire something less loud and clown-like and work-appropriate, then Jane is the shade for you.  This may sound very silly, but Jane from Drop Dead Diva needs to discover this shade.  I imagine it would be one she would like to rock, especially because it has her name.  Ah, wouldn't it be cool if one of the NARS Audacious lipsticks had your name as its name?  Then who needs a souvenir keychain or magnet with your name on it when you can get a lipstick!  Well, maybe some gentlemen would not appreciate this gesture.

Once I began seeing / reading several positive reviews of the NARS Audacious lipsticks, I added a few more shades to my wish-list, such as Barbara (brown-nude), Anita (rosy-pink nude), Vanessa (mauve-pink nude), Catherine (tangerine), Geraldine (orange), Charlotte (wine-red), and Deborah (reddish brown).  I am patiently awaiting the Sephora VIB sale in November to purchase the other shades.  

The NARS Audacious lipsticks cost $32 each, which comes close to the price point of brands like Chanel, Dior, and YSL.  This price point is quite a bit higher than its other lip products, which cost about $25 per lip product.  The high price point comes as a surprise to consumers, who I suppose associate NARS as more of a mid-range high-end brand.  However, after trying a NARS Audacious lipstick myself and liking it more than any of the Chanel, Dior, and YSL lipsticks I own as well as observing that the quality of the NARS Audacious lipsticks far exceeds that of its older permanent lip product lines.  

The NARS Audacious lipsticks are available everywhere NARS is sold, like Sephora and Nordstrom.  There are a few shades (Dominique (dusty lilac), Vanessa (mauve-pink nude), Carmen (red) to name a few... ) that are exclusive to Barney's New York and NARS (stand-alone) stores.  I purchased Dominique last week, but am planning to return it because sadly this shade did not suit me at all.  

I say every lipstick wearer needs at least one NARS Audacious lipstick. Yes, needs! So, why does one need a NARS Audacious lipstick? This is the only lipstick amongst the lipsticks I own that I can assure you with extreme confidence that it is indeed a long-wearing lipstick, which is not a staining lipstick and will not kill the hydration in your lips.  This lipstick stayed on my lips through two solid meals and brushing my teeth before going to sleep at night.  In addition to its exceptional staying power, the pigmentation and formula are excellent as well.  There are no compromises here!  You are not compromising opaque color or staying power for a comfortable formula.  The NARS Audacious lipsticks provide it all.  The formula is the perfect amount of creamy and not overly emollient, making the application smooth, yet not slippery.  One does not need to apply more than a single swipe for full color impact.  

Overall, I am so pleased by the quality NARS Audacious lipsticks.  Their new and superb formula has influenced the quality I desire from lip products, making me even more of a lipstick snob than I already am.  NARS Audacious lipsticks are feel creamy during and after application applied, yet set to a comfortable semi-matte finish.  Lastly, these lipsticks provide rich pigmentation and excellent staying-power without actually staining your lips.  So, the product comes off easily without requiring you to scrub your lips harshly.

I highly recommend Jane as this shade would flatter so many skin tones.  Dominique on the other hand is an acquired taste.  Thus far no one amongst my confidants, mom, Mr. Beau, and one of my close friends (Alexandria - you know I'm talking about you), has liked the appearance of Dominique on me.  Of course I did not want to experiment with it too much because sadly at first glance I decided to send it back.  I have heard that Anna is a wearable version of Dominique, so I plan to purchase that shade in the future.  Update: I have decided to keep Dominique.  Something about it has drawn me from the beginning and I ultimately decided to keep it because it is a truly unique shade to my collection. Yes, that is how amazing these lipsticks are!  Thanks to Megan for the vote of confidence to rock this shade.

*Swatches* 
Jane


Dominique
Barbara 
Catherine
Lana
I hope this post was informative and helpful. Your friendly comments are much appreciated.  Come back soon. Please follow, like, share, connect, and subscribe. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful shade on you Meesha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have to go out and purchase one of these . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've now got Jane on my wishlist! It looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS POLICY: I love to receive comments from my readers. It helps me know that I am reaching out to people who share my interests. One of my favorite parts of blogging is interaction with other "beauty enthusiasts" like myself. Feel free to inform me of your thoughts, opinions, and feedback regarding the subject matter discussed in the blog post. Please refrain from leaving comments that involve advertisements, giveaways, and any other promotions, including promotion of your own blog/social media forums. There is absolutely no tolerance for negativity or obscenity.

***Please DO NOT LEAVE LINKS OR HYPERLINKS in your comments!